Bolton Music Service is a thriving and dynamic organisation, providing high quality music services for schools, teachers, young people and their families. The service continues to grow year-on-year with an exciting range of local, regional and national partnerships, enabling more and more children to experience the benefits of making music. We are committed to opening up new musical progression routes for all, and through our work as the lead organisation in the GM Music Hub this potential is becoming a reality. Our aim now is to harness resources through the Hub to enrich the lives of young people across the region.
What we do
1. Every week around 4,000 children are having music lessons with Bolton Music Service on a wide range of instruments and in singing. Our specialist team of music teachers work with individual children, and in small and large groups. These lessons are open to all children. Go to 'Instrumental and Vocal Lessons' for more information.
2. Bolton Music Service has an enviable range of choirs and ensembles for all ages and all abilities. We run 43 ensembles which are organised in 6 departments - Orchestras, Choirs, Concert Bands, Brass Bands, Jazz and Percussion, Community Ensembles. For information on how to join go to 'Ensembles and choirs'
3. If you want to have a weekly lesson and / or join one of our ensembles you will need a musical instrument. You can either buy your own instrument or access our 'Musical Instrument Hire Scheme' . This scheme is for those children taking part in our music programmes, attracts a significant subsidy, and is designed to enable children to have a musical instrument at low cost.
4. Bolton Music Service has an outstanding reputation for its 'Work with Schools'. We have a large teams of specialist music curriculum teachers who support schools in the delivery of music in the classroom, the planning of schemes of work and the development of music making across the whole school.
5. We have a well-developed programme of 'Continuous Professional Development' for teachers in schools, Music Services and the wider community. You can access courses and training on a wide range of music education topics.
6. Every year we perform over 100 'Concerts and Events' in the local area and many of our ensembles take part in regional and national events. Many of these events are open to the public - see 'Concerts and Events' for booking information.
7. Bolton Music Service is supported by a wide range of local partners and sponsors. These are individuals and organisations who can see the huge benefits of music making to young people and who want to invest something, large or small, to sustain these music opportunities for future generations of children. 'Local Partners and Sponsors' is fast growing area of our work and we are proud to be associated with all our supporters.
8. You can find our more about music education in Bolton and start to get involved in making music by contacting a member of our team. Visit 'Contact us' for more information.